Ringo H.w. Chiu / AP
A man opened fire Monday inside his wife's classroom in San Bernardino, California, killing her and an 8-year-old boy before turning the gun on himself.
A second student, identified as a 9-year-old boy, was also injured inside the North Park Elementary classroom, but in stable condition, police said.
Police said they don't believe the children were targeted when Cedric Anderson entered the class to shoot his estranged wife, Karen Smith. Martinez and another student were standing behind Smith when they were struck by gunfire.
“He came in in a very very quick manner and quickly upon entering the classroom started shooting,” said San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan.
Anderson had a criminal history had a criminal past that included weapons charges, domestic violence, and possible gun charges.
A .357 revolver was found next to the shooter and he reloaded once. A revolver typically carries 6 rounds, Burguan said.
Smith and Anderson were estranged after a short marriage that lasted a few months. They separated about a month and a half before the shooting and authorities said there were no indications he would attack her.
The domestic violence incidents in Anderson's criminal record preceded their marriage, Burguan said.
Maria Garcia, a spokeswoman for the San Bernardino City Unified School District, said they received a report of an active shooter at about 10:28 a.m. About 500 students attend North Park Elementary.
Police arrived minutes later as officials locked down the campus. A total of about 150 police officers responded to the shooting.
Garcia said there are no campus police at the district's elementary schools. They do have unarmed security at the middle schools and uniformed police at high schools.
Police said Anderson's gun was not visible when he arrived at the school, telling staff that he needed to drop something off for his wife inside.
Throughout the day, parents lined up outside Cajon High School to pick up students who had been evacuated there after the shooting.
The mother of a fifth-grader told ABC7 she was shopping when news broke about the shooting and frantically called police to get information. She was later notified through an app that her son was safe.
“I just want to hold him,” the mother said.
San Bernardino was also the site of the Dec. 2, 2015 mass shooting that left 14 people dead and 22 injured after a couple opened fire at a social services center.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates and follow BuzzFeed News on Twitter.